Webinar: LGBTQ+ Awareness for Medical Providers
Join us for a webinar on-demand to improve awareness of LGBTQ+ community members. Medical service providers will encounter patients of all races, colors, beliefs, and orientations throughout their careers. In this webinar, we will discuss the various specific social and medical issues that you should keep in mind when you find a member of the LGBTQ+ community in your care.
Following the webinar, attendees will be able to do the following:
- Define key terms relevant to the LGBTQ+ community.
- Understand a brief overview of the history of the LGBTQ+ community in the United States from the mid-1900s to present.
- Discuss various social issues and their impact on specific risk factors for LGBTQ+ patients.
- Identify key medical needs for a transgender patient.
- Create a safe and welcoming environment for LGBTQ+ patients.
About the Presenter
Kuo Downing-Reese is a 16-year veteran of EMS. She started her career in Los Angeles County serving in a variety of settings, including private ambulance, fire, and hospital ED. Kuo went to paramedic school at UCLA-Daniel Freeman. She has a degree in EMS management from George Washington University and currently practices as a full-time critical care paramedic in Rochester, New York. She also does a variety of EMS and medical training as a CareerCert instructor, NYS Certified Lab Instructor (CIC intern), NAEMT instructor, and as an AHA regional/training center faculty.