As first responders, we pride ourselves on sacrificing to protect and care for those in our community. But we cannot fully do our jobs and achieve the best outcomes until we learn how to protect and care for our team—those sacrificing alongside us—and ourselves.
First responders have higher risks of sleep disorders, PTSD, mental illness, suicide, and burnout. According to recent studies:
But what are we doing with these faceless statistics?
It’s no longer enough to raise awareness—it’s time we start acting. It’s time we find a solution. It’s time we start changing the conversation.
In this webinar, Rick Campos—a veteran firefighter, paramedic, and educator who served in the US Air Force and as an officer for a Federal Fire Department—discusses a holistic approach to helping first responders and leaders build resilience, effectively communicate, and create safe spaces for personnel to honestly voice their needs or struggles. Fill out the form to access our free webinar.
This webinar is an overview of a 5-part resilience course CareerCert created to help first responders access the tools they need to build healthier, happier lives. Access the full course in our content library.
1. Klimley K E, Van Hasselt V B, Stripling A M. Posttraumatic stress disorder in police, firefighters, and emergency dispatchers. Aggression and Violent Behavior. Nov 2018. 43: 33–44. doi:10.1016/j.avb.2018.08.005. ISSN 1359-1789.
2. Increasing suicide rates among first responders spark concern. Mar 19, 2017. Accessed Jan 6, 2020. https://www.firerescue1.com/fire-ems/articles/increasing-suicide-rates-among-first-responders-spark-concern-TkuBikGnO3vPHIb3/.
3. Tuckey M R, Scott J E. Group critical incident stress debriefing with emergency services personnel: a randomized controlled trial. Anxiety, Stress, & Coping. Jun 25, 2013. 27 (1): 38–54. doi:10.1080/10615806.2013.809421. ISSN 1061-5806. PMID 23799773.
4. Crist C. Burnout in firefighters linked to sleep issues, mental health concerns. Physician’s Weekly. Jun 27, 2019. https://www.physiciansweekly.com/burnout-in-firefighters-linked.
5. Fowler RL, Gardener A, Robbins M, Rosenberger R. Burnout among EMS professionals: Incidence, assessment and management. Journal of Emergency Medical Services. Oct 29, 2019. https://www.jems.com/2019/10/29/burnout-among-ems-professionals-incidence-assessment-and-management/.