State Certification Requirement Information
State requirements are in constant flux. Our team believes that we serve you best by being up to date on the needs for your state license renewal. However, your state office of EMS is the source of the most accurate information.
In order to best prepare you to meet state certification requirements, here’s some information that may help you:
States That Follow NREMT Guidelines
If you complete the NREMT requirements, you’re also able to recertify in these states:
- District of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- New Mexico
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Dakota
States That Do Not Recognize NREMT
The following states do not recognize NREMT as a prerequisite for licensure, but we still have the education that you need to complete your recertification except a BLS or ACLS provider card:
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
Check with your state to ensure that they do not limit the number of CEs that you can take online and that they accept F5 (virtual instructor-led training) as an equivalent to a live classroom.
We are constantly expanding our content to anticipate industry needs and help you meet state requirements. Some of these coming courses and the states they impact include:
- 4 added hours in Special Considerations for providers in Missouri and Texas
- LGBTQ Awareness for providers in California
- 2 added hours of Geriatrics for providers in New York
- Domestic Preparedness for providers in New York
States With Unique Requirements
When taking CareerCert courses, here are some unique state requirements to consider:
- Tennessee does not accept virtual instructor-led training as live training. You must take your refresher in an in-person classroom.
- Wyoming has unique education requirements that we currently do not offer.
- Virginia—if you enter a Virginia license into your profile, you will only be presented with courses that are approved in Virginia. We report your completions nightly to Virginia OEMS.
- Texas—if you enter a Texas license into your profile, you will only be presented with courses that are approved in Texas. Most, if not all, our courses are approved in Texas as we have a providership accreditation in Texas.
- New Jersey—if you enter a New Jersey license into your profile, you will only be presented with courses that are approved in New Jersey. We report your completions monthly to New Jersey OEMS.
- Florida—if you enter a Florida license into your profile, you will only be presented with courses that are approved in Florida. We report your completions nightly through CE Broker.
After each self-paced course you complete, you will receive a certificate of completion which will be placed in your “Certificates” tab. After you complete your entire live course calendar program, you will receive one certificate to show you have met all the required F5 live instructor-led hours.
Uploading your certificates is simple. CareerCert has access and permission to upload certificates to the following states: Florida, Virginia, and New Jersey.
We also upload certificates to CAPCE directly but not to NREMT. NREMT, however, has a CAPCE upload tool on their website you can use to make the process easier.
If you wish to receive notifications about when your next live course is starting, you can enable that option in your profile. 1) Log in to your profile, which is located on your dashboard. 2) Select the “Live Schedule Notification” option. 3) Set your preferred notification options and you can turn off and on the options that you would prefer of when to receive a notification of the start time of your class.